Who we are
You are here: Home » Who we are » Our Purpose
In 2004 Ruth Mattison, who was the member of TSiBA’s Academic Advisory Council, wrote a piece that encapsulates TSiBA’s purpose aptly.
“In the midst of an existing education system that is battling with the problem of creating graduates for overseas consumption, we believe that the real question is: Of what value is it to assist a handful of the previously disadvantaged students to jump the gap between rich and poor?
TSiBA has another dream that our graduates…
• Will be able to think global but act local.
• Will be inspired to dedicate themselves to living and working in environments that promote and create opportunities for collaborative, sustainable livelihoods in Africa.
• Will utilise their knowledge, skill and compassion in ways that help to develop new ways of decreasing the gap between rich and poor for many and not just for themselves.
• Will have the ability to serve many stakeholders, because of their history and their vision.
• Will be able to understand and use the language of the current business paradigm for the benefit of a different world.
The global world that our graduates will be entering is seeking to address some of the fundamental problems currently experienced in developing countries. We do not know what those solutions are, but we do know that by helping our students to see the world differently – in terms of possibilities as opposed to problems – and by encouraging them to actively participate in changing their own communities, the positive change we all prefer can be a visible reality at TSiBA today.”
To read about where our first graduates are now, visit alumni.